News | International
31 Aug 2025 17:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    United Nations-backed investigators allege systemic torture in Myanmar detention facilities by security forces

    The Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar said victims were subject to beatings, electric shocks, sexual violence, strangulation and other forms of torture.


    United Nations investigators say they have found evidence of systematic torture by Myanmar security forces and identified some of the most senior perpetrators.

    Warning: This story contains details of sexual offences which may distress some audience members.

    The Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM), formed in 2018 to analyse evidence of serious violations of international law, said victims were subject to beatings, electric shocks, gang rape, strangulation and other forms of torture such as the removal of fingernails with pliers.

    "We have uncovered significant evidence, including eyewitness testimony, showing systematic torture in Myanmar detention facilities," Nicholas Koumjian, head of the IIMM, said in a statement accompanying the 16-page report.

    The torture sometimes resulted in death, the report said.

    Children aged 2 to 17, who are often unlawfully detained as proxies for their missing parents, were among those tortured, it said.

    A spokesperson for Myanmar's military-backed government did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Reuters.

    The government has not responded to over two dozen requests by the UN team for information about the alleged crimes and requests to access the country, the UN report said.

    The military has said it has a duty to ensure peace and security. It has denied atrocities have taken place and has blamed "terrorists" for causing unrest.

    The findings in the report, covering a one-year period through to June 30, were based on information from more than 1,300 sources, including hundreds of eyewitness testimonies as well as forensic evidence, documents and photographs.

    Perpetrators identified so far include high-level commanders, the report said, although names were withheld due to ongoing investigations and concerns about alerting the individuals.

    Investigators focused on torture partly because many victims were able to identify perpetrators individually, which Mr Koumjian, a former prosecutor, said could help with future convictions.

    "People often know the names or they certainly know the faces of those who torture them or who torture their friends," Mr Koumjian told reporters in Geneva.

    Funding cut concerns investigators

    Myanmar has been in chaos since a 2021 military coup against an elected civilian government plunged the country into civil war. Tens of thousands of people have been detained since then, the United Nations says.

    Junta chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing ended a four-year state of emergency last month and announced the formation of a new government, with himself as acting president, ahead of a planned election.

    The IIMM is investigating abuses in Myanmar since 2011, including crimes committed against the mainly Muslim Rohingya minority in 2017 when hundreds of thousands were forced to flee a military crackdown, and those affecting all groups since the coup.

    The IIMM is supporting jurisdictions investigating the alleged crimes, such as Britain and the International Criminal Court.

    However, Mr Koumjian said UN budget cuts threatened its work.

    Donations for its research on sexual violence and crimes against children, as well as funding for witness security, are set to run out at the end of the year, he said.

    "All of this would have a very substantial effect on our ability to continue to document the crimes and provide evidence that will be useful to jurisdictions prosecuting these cases," he said.

    Reuters/ABC


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     31 Aug: No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save
     31 Aug: Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now
     31 Aug: Police seize more than $70m in tobacco and vape products in historic bust
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     31 Aug: Three dead after angry mob sets fire to parliament building in Indonesia
     31 Aug: These pro-Palestine activists spoke up. A 'nefarious' website is now after them
     31 Aug: What time does the F1 Dutch Grand Prix start? How can I watch?
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 16:57

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17

    Rugby:
    Damning claims from a former Welsh rugby international about New Zealand Rugby Players Association boss Rob Nichol 16:07

    Rugby:
    22-year-old hooker Jack Taylor is hoping to replicate Southland rugby greats of years gone by when they tackle Waikato in their Ranfurly Shield NPC contest in Hamilton this afternoon 15:27

    Motoring:
    A switch to NASCAR has helped motorsport ace Shane van Gisbergen find his passion for the sport again 15:17

    International:
    Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now 15:07

    Health & Safety:
    A record number of cases of bacterial disease leptospirosis were recorded in 2023 14:07

    Law and Order:
    A person's been arrested for throwing a bottle at a Police vehicle during a crack down on anti-social road users in Manawatu 13:47

    Rugby:
    All Black Caleb Clarke has explained his leadership role as a senior player in a struggling Auckland NPC side 13:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd