News | International
30 Aug 2025 9:33
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    UK police say 146 victims have come forward over Harrods boss Mohamed Al Fayed

    The number of victims has risen considerably since a BBC investigation into the billionaire late last year.


    British police say at least 146 people are being treated as victims of late billionaire Harrods boss Mohamed Al Fayed.

    In a statement to the ABC, the Metropolitan Police said it continued to call for more people to come forward with information to help its investigation, which was stood up in November.

    It followed reports in the British press of a video update by police which was sent to victims, in which they said that a number of further witnesses, both men and women, had come forward to give evidence.

    Al Fayed, who was a prominent figure in the UK, died in 2023 at the age of 94.

    The number of victims linked to the Egyptian billionaire has risen sharply since 21 people first came forward in September with allegations of sexual assault, including five who accused him of rape.

    It is also an increase on the last official number of 90 victims disclosed by the Metropolitan Police in November.

    A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told the ABC that the "live investigation into those who could have facilitated or enabled Mohamed Al Fayed's offending continues".

    "We continue to support all victims and we urge anyone with information, whether they were directly affected by Mohamed Al Fayed's actions or aware of others who may have been involved, or committed offences to come forward."

    The Metropolitan Police's investigation is also looking into who may have enabled and facilitated Al Fayed's abuse, and whether there was any misconduct or corruption involved.

    The ABC reported in October that at least six Australians were among those accusing Al Fayed.

    At the time, 421 people had contacted the accusers' legal team making various allegations about Al Fayed.

    Al Fayed owned the prominent Harrods department store, one of London's most popular tourist attractions, between 1985 and 2010.

    The store's new owners last year said they had settled civil claims with some of Al Fayed's accusers.

    The billionaire was a household name in the UK thanks to his wealth, eccentricity and connection to Princess Diana.

    His son Dodi Al Fayed was killed alongside Princess Diana in a Paris car crash in 1997.


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Aug: Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality
     30 Aug: Indonesian protests spread as anger grows over death of motorcycle driver who hit by police car
     30 Aug: Israeli troops retrieve bodies of two hostages held in Gaza
     29 Aug: Indonesia's democracy faces 'setback' after police clash with protesters
     29 Aug: Zelenskyy says you can't hold an election during a war. Is this true?
     29 Aug: The most common issues these sex therapists see
     29 Aug: Daria Kasatkina fights through cramps to advance at US Open as Jannik Sinner downs Alexei Popyrin
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A major boost for the Black Ferns ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan on Monday morning More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Meridian and Nova Energy have finalised a joint venture for a solar farm near Taupo - set to be one of the largest in New Zealand More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Meridian and Nova Energy have finalised a joint venture for a solar farm near Taupo - set to be one of the largest in New Zealand 9:27

    Entertainment:
    George Clooney is said to have been forced to scale back his commitments at the Venice Film Festival after falling ill on the opening day 9:16

    Entertainment:
    Emma Heming Willis made the "hardest decision" by moving her husband Bruce Willis into a separate home 8:46

    Politics:
    The Electoral Commission's gearing up for an increase in voting this weekend, in the Tamaki Makaurau by-election 8:17

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce's mother has publicly shown her support for his engagement to Taylor Swift 8:16

    Rugby League:
    The Roosters have spoiled Storm mentor Craig Bellamy's 600th NRL game as head coach with a shock 40-10 win in Melbourne 8:07

    Rugby:
    A major boost for the Black Ferns ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan on Monday morning 7:57

    International:
    Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality 7:57

    Rugby League:
    Warriors coach Andrew Webster has called out his side's lack of concentration after a 26-22 defeat by the Eels at Mt Smart 7:57

    Law and Order:
    Thames-Coromandel residents, bach owners, hunters, trampers and campers are being asked to keep an eye out for a missing man 7:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd