News | International
31 Aug 2025 22:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Deaths in Gaza from airdrops as countries try to deliver more aid

    The parents of the 14-year-old boy speak of their grief after he was killed during an airdrop of humanitarian aid in Gaza earlier this week.


    Israel was repeatedly warned that allowing aid to be airdropped would have deadly consequences in Gaza.

    For 14-year-old Muhannad Eid, that warning became a reality when he was crushed by a pallet of aid in the enclave on the weekend.

    "He was my sweetheart, the love of my life," his mother, Nai'ila Eid, said.

    "He is gone, and there is no point in my life. Now I am waiting to die."

    Faced with growing and significant international condemnation over starvation in Gaza, Israel chose to allow countries to parachute aid into Gaza several weeks ago.

    Although international aid agencies repeatedly have stressed that airdrops are ineffective and dangerous, they've been carried out by countries like Jordan, the UAE, and European nations in a bid to deliver a paltry lifeline into the strip.

    On Saturday, one such aid drop was carried out near Nuseirat in Central Gaza.

    Footage from the scene showed several pallets parachuting down from the sky and hitting the ground with significant force.

    Some of these pallets can weigh up to 1 tonne.

    Hundreds of people, many of them children and teenagers, raced toward the packages of aid.

    Next to one of the pallets, being pulled apart by the hungry and desperate Palestinians, Muhannad's motionless body could be seen lying in the dirt.

    He was carried to hospital, where his distraught family mourned him.

    "The food is scarce. He said that he would get something, a can of sardines or sauce," Muhannad's father Zakaria Eid said.

    "The aid package fell on him, directly on his head. His skull and neck were fractured. He had a brain laceration.

    "The aid that is dropped from the air, it's not human. It's like they're throwing food to dogs or wild animals in the jungle."

    More aid delivered by air

    Airdrops are currently one of the only three aid delivery mechanisms in Gaza.

    The second is through the US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF).

    The United Nations has said more than 1,000 people have been killed trying to receive aid in Gaza since the GHF began operating, most shot by Israeli forces operating near GHF sites.

    The GHF denies there have been deadly incidents inside its sites and says the deadliest have been near other aid convoys.

    Israel also rejects the figures, but does not provide its own data on deaths.

    Organisations like the World Food Programme also deliver some aid, but say their missions along two aid corridors still face considerable obstructions, even after the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced it would create "secure corridors" to help convoys travel to depots.

    On Wednesday, the IDF said it was continuing a "series of actions aimed at improving the humanitarian response in the Gaza Strip".

    "Over the past few hours, 119 aid packages containing food for the residents of the Gaza Strip were airdropped by six different countries."

    Most observers say that the amount of aid that is entering Gaza is not enough to reverse the course of what the UN has described as mounting evidence of "widespread starvation, malnutrition and disease".

    Eight more people, including three children, have died of starvation and malnutrition in Gaza in the past 24 hours, the territory's health ministry said.

    That took the total to 235, including 106 children, since the war began.

    On Tuesday, Australia joined 23 other countries in calling for a "flood" of aid into Gaza, saying the crisis had reached "unimaginable levels".

    Further air strikes on 'bloody night' in Gaza

    The hunger crisis comes as Israel continues to prepare its offensive to occupy Gaza City, which would displace hundreds of thousands of Palestinians.

    More than 120 Palestinians were killed in a "bloody night" of Israeli bombardments, in an assault that could forecast what's soon to come.

    Gaza City's second largest hospital, Al-Ahli, said 12 people were killed in an air strike on a home in the neighbourhood of Zeitoun.

    "Last night was a bloody night," the hospital's Issam Abu Ajwa told Reuters.

    On Wednesday, the IDF said it had approved a framework for the operational plan in the Gaza Strip.

    In an appearance on Israeli television on Wednesday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suggested that Palestinians should leave the enclave altogether.

    "They're not being pushed out, they'll be allowed to exit," he said.

    "All those who are concerned for the Palestinians and say they want to help the Palestinians should open their gates and stop lecturing us."

    The suggestion — one which has previously been raised by US President Donald Trump — has been described by Palestinians as reminiscent of the "Nakba", or "catastrophe" — when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled or were forced from their land during the 1948 war.

    Israel's plans to occupy Gaza City, which it has done so before in this war, are expected to be carried out next month or in October.

    That leaves several weeks for possible ceasefire negotiations, with Hamas currently holding talks with Egyptian mediators.

    ABC/wires

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     31 Aug: No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save
     31 Aug: Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now
     31 Aug: Police seize more than $70m in tobacco and vape products in historic bust
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     31 Aug: Three dead after angry mob sets fire to parliament building in Indonesia
     31 Aug: These pro-Palestine activists spoke up. A 'nefarious' website is now after them
     31 Aug: What time does the F1 Dutch Grand Prix start? How can I watch?
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    State Highway 1 The Desert Road from across the central plateau is closed Rangipo to Waiouru 21:57

    Living & Travel:
    The wild weather's causing major disruptions to ground operations at Auckland Airport 21:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd