News | Entertainment
23 Feb 2026 11:58
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sir Elton John has a "new respect for sight-impaired people"

    The 77-year-old 'Rocket Man' singer has been suffering severely deteriorating vision after he recently contracted an eye infection that affected his vision, previously revealing the infection last summer impacted his ability to record music and left him feeling "stuck"


    He has now told The Guardian about the impact of the ordeal: "I'm an optimist permanently. I've got bad eyesight at the moment.

    "There have been days where I've been miserable, but then I think about how lucky I am.

    "I've got a new respect for sight-impaired people and people who are totally blind, some of whom I'm in touch with.

    "But to hell with it, I've got a great life, and hopefully my sight will improve."

    He spoke out ahead of the release of his new album 'Who Believes In Angels?', a collaboration with U.S. singer Brandi Carlile, which is set for release in the spring.

    Co-written by Sir Elton's longtime songwriting partner Bernie Taupin and produced by Grammy winner Andrew Watt, it was recorded over 20 days in October 2023.

    The project marks a departure for the singer-songwriter, who said he wanted to move beyond his past work.

    He added: "I could do an 'Elton John' record easily. That's what I didn't want to do any more. I wanted a challenge. I wanted to put all my old stuff to bed."

    Reflecting on the recording process, Sir Elton admitted to feeling uneasy, saying: "It wasn't me being anxious about other people, it was me being anxious about me.

    "Once we got through the first three songs, we knew we had something. And I was much more relaxed... but I was a bit of a nightmare."

    In September, Sir Elton disclosed in a social media post a "severe eye infection" had left him "with only limited vision in one eye".

    He added: "I have been quietly spending the summer recuperating at home, and am feeling positive about the progress I have made in my healing and recovery so far."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     23 Feb: Kansas City Chiefs star Chris Jones has launched an impassioned defence of Travis Kelce
     22 Feb: James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation"
     22 Feb: Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids
     22 Feb: Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business
     22 Feb: Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting"
     22 Feb: Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Satellite imaging is now vital for disaster management. But there are dangerous gaps in our systems More...



     Today's News

    Auckland:
    A person whose car flipped after hitting a tree in South Auckland last Tuesday - died on Thursday 11:17

    Business:
    Satellite imaging is now vital for disaster management. But there are dangerous gaps in our systems 11:17

    International:
    Micro-interventions to reduce stress in your day 11:17

    Athletics:
    A tricky decision looms for Athletics New Zealand as to which female pole vaulters they select for the world indoor championships in Poland from March 20 to 22 11:07

    Motoring:
    Nascar driver Shane van Gisbergen has advanced up the field at the latest race in Georgia 11:07

    National:
    How could Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor be removed from the line of succession to the throne? 10:37

    Law and Order:
    US Secret Service agents shoot and kill man trying to break into Trump's Mar-a-Lago 10:27

    National:
    Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as the fallout from Supreme Court loss continues 10:27

    National:
    Gaza’s cultural sites have been decimated. UNESCO’s muted response sets a dangerous precedent 10:17

    National:
    As war in Ukraine enters a 5th year, will the ‘Putin consensus’ among Russians hold? 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd