News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 1:14
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    James Blunt sends direct messages to his trolls after calling them out on social media

    The 45-year-old singer is known for replying to nasty tweets with witty and scathing comments, but after publicly highlighting the troll for all to see, he will then message them privately to check they are ok coming under scrutiny


    Speaking to heat magazine, James explained: "When you're face-to-face with people, they're normally quite polite. When I do reply, I try and make sure it's with humour and kindness. I direct message them, because their notifications will start going, and you don't quite know how fragile they might be.

    "They could be quite fragile, bearing in mind they're on Twitter, feeling empowered when they're upstairs in their bedroom with the curtains closed, their trousers round their ankles, writing something horrid to someone they've never met before. So, I direct message them often to say, 'Hey, this is all in good humour and I hope you see it in that way. Peace out!'"

    The 'Monsters' hitmaker has fired back at plenty of negative comments on the social networking site over the years, but tends to poke as much fun at himself as he does at those who've tweeted about him.

    He previously revealed: "What I do on Twitter is me laughing. Not only at those people, but also at myself."

    But not everyone finds his behaviour hilarious as his record label asked him to tone it down prior to the release of his fifth album 'The Afterlove' in 2017.

    He said at the time: "They asked me to stop, they said it was bad for my brand. I said to my manager, 'This brand is broken already and maybe I can just be myself now.'"

    However, James refuses to let any comments affect him as he is more focused on his fans who have supported him throughout his career.

    He added: "I am surprised by the reactions, both positive and negative. I get up to 10,000 people night after night watching me, but you might find four negative tweets online and they might affect me more, but I shouldn't forget that thousands of people have spent money to go to one of my concerts."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama
     20 Feb: Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban
     20 Feb: Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university
     20 Feb: Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work
     20 Feb: Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show
     20 Feb: Tyra Banks refused to speak to Jay Manuel when he returned to America's Next Top Model
     20 Feb: Taylor Swift has thrown her support behind Team USA's figure skaters as they prepare to take to the ice at the Winter Olympics
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    High hopes for one of the Hurricanes' newest recruits More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery More...



     Today's News

    Cricket:
    The Central Stags have posted a massive 211-run win over the Wellington Firebirds, to book their place against Canterbury in Sunday's one-day men's cricket final 21:57

    Entertainment:
    President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama 21:47

    Entertainment:
    Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban 21:17

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests decision on Iran likely within 10 to 15 days 21:17

    Golf:
    Ryan Fox is right in the mix after a fine four-under-par opening round of 67, at the latest PGA Tour event in Los Angeles 21:17

    National:
    Andrew’s arrest: will anything like this now happen in the US? Why hasn’t it so far? 21:07

    General:
    Kyra Wheatley ready to ride the chaos and speed of ski cross at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show 19:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd