News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 8:49
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William has withdrawn from the BAFTA Awards on Sunday (11.04.21)

    The 38-year-old royal was due to deliver a speech at the annual awards show, via a video link, but he has withdrawn from the event following the passing of Prince Philip


    Prince William was set to speak about the resilience of the British film industry amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Duke of Edinburgh was actually BAFTA’s first-ever president, between 1959 and 1965, and he continued to support the organisation throughout his life.

    And after Prince Philip's passing was confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Friday (09.04.21), the organisation released a statement to express its sympathies.

    BAFTA said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, whose close association with the Academy spanned over 60 years.

    "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh became the organisation's first president in 1959, one year after the British Film Academy and the Guild of Television Producers and Directors merged to create the Society of Film and Television Arts, a forerunner of BAFTA. The Duke represented the Society until 1965 and presented awards at ceremonies during this period."

    The statement later added: "The Duke occupies a special place in the Academy’s history and will be missed enormously.

    "Our thoughts are with the royal family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy."

    Meanwhile, a source has claimed that Prince Philip wanted to die "in his own bed" and "on his own terms".

    The royal - who passed away at Windsor Castle at the age of 99 - spent almost a month in hospital earlier this year, where he was treated for an infection and a heart condition.

    The insider said: "He spent most of the four weeks he was in hospital trying to get home. They operated on his heart in a bid to give him a little longer, maybe with the 100th birthday in mind. But he didn't really care about that.

    "There is no way he would have wanted to die in hospital."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Robert Duvall, star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, dies at 95
     17 Feb: Gary Numan's wife has been left paralysed following an operation
     17 Feb: Jesy Nelson says her former Little Mix bandmates have "all reached out" since she gave birth
     17 Feb: John Cleese says criticism of Islam is "not racist, it's culturalist"
     17 Feb: Margaret Qualley has described Jack Antonoff as her "person" in a rare comment about their marriage
     17 Feb: Stephen 'tWitch' Boss's widow Allison Holker has got engaged
     16 Feb: Steven Spielberg has donated $25,000 to help James Van Der Beek's family
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Retail confidence is at a two-year high - but full recovery is still to come More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Robert Duvall, star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, dies at 95 8:37

    Entertainment:
    Gary Numan's wife has been left paralysed following an operation 8:27

    National:
    Play reduces stress and lifts wellbeing – and adults benefit as much as children do 8:07

    Environment:
    The next bout of heavy rain has started its rampage on the east of the South Island 8:07

    Entertainment:
    Jesy Nelson says her former Little Mix bandmates have "all reached out" since she gave birth 7:57

    Health & Safety:
    Fears that alcohol ads are influencing how children think about alcohol 7:57

    Business:
    Retail confidence is at a two-year high - but full recovery is still to come 7:57

    International:
    How to decide what type of car insurance is best for you 7:37

    Law and Order:
    A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed 7:37

    Entertainment:
    John Cleese says criticism of Islam is "not racist, it's culturalist" 7:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd