News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 10:34
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Selena Gomez has admitted "some of the magic has disappeared" around 'Emilia Perez' following the controversy surrounding co-star Karla Sofia Gascon

    The 32-year-old actress is still "proud" of her role in the musical - which is nominated for 13 Academy Awards - but suggested things don't feel the same as they did before her co-stars past tweets about the Muslim community, the late George Floyd, and diversity at the Academy Awards resurfaced


    Speaking at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on Sunday (09.02.25), People magazine reports she said: "I'm good. I'm really good. Some of the magic has disappeared, but I choose to continue to be proud of what I've done, and I'm just grateful.

    "I live with no regrets and I would do this movie over and over again if I could."

    Karla - who has denied previously posting a comment branding Selena a "rich rat" - recently pledged to stay silent to stop distracting away from 'Emilia Perez's Oscar campaign.

    She wrote on Instagram: "I decided, for the film, for Jacques, for the cast, for the incredible crew who deserves it, for the beautiful adventure we all had together, to let the work talk for itself, hoping my silence will allow the film to be appreciated for what it is, a beautiful ode to love and difference.

    "I sincerely apologise to everyone who has been hurt along the way.(sic)"

    Karla spoke out after 'Emilia Perez' director Jacques Audiard branded her previous comments "inexcusable" and said he didn't want to speak to her.

    He told Deadline: "I haven't spoken to her, and I don't want to. She is in a self-destructive approach that I can't interfere in, and I really don't understand why she's continuing.

    "Why is she harming herself? Why? I don't understand it, and what I don't understand about this too is why she's harming people who were very close to her.

    "I'm thinking in this thing of how hurting others, of how she's hurting the crew and all these people who worked so incredibly hard on this film. I'm thinking of myself, I'm thinking of Zoe [Saldaña] and Selena [Gomez]. I just don't understand why she's continuing to harm us.

    "I'm not getting in touch with her because right now she needs space to reflect and take accountability for her actions...

    "She's really playing the victim. She's talking about herself as a victim, which is surprising. It's as if she thought that words don't hurt...

    "It's very hard for me to think back to the work I did with Karla Sofía. The trust we shared, the exceptional atmosphere that we had on the set that was indeed based on trust.

    "And when you have that kind of relationship and suddenly you read something that that person has said, things that are absolutely hateful and worthy of being hated, of course that relationship is affected. It's as if you fall into a hole. Because what Karla Sofía said is inexcusable."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Margot Robbie would've "risked it all" for Lord of Rings character Aragon during her teenage years
     17 Feb: Iran's state TV airs 'forced confessions' of 'scapegoats' whose families fear could face execution
     17 Feb: Michelle Yeoh thinks Hollywood can be slow to progress because some people are scared to "lose out"
     17 Feb: Chloë Sevigny wants to celebrate the inclusivity and diversity of New York fashion
     17 Feb: Peter Andre won't be spending Valentine's Day with his wife Emily
     17 Feb: Robert Duvall, star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, dies at 95
     17 Feb: Gary Numan's wife has been left paralysed following an operation
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Retail confidence is at a two-year high - but full recovery is still to come More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie would've "risked it all" for Lord of Rings character Aragon during her teenage years 10:27

    National:
    Amazon’s Ring wanted to track your pets. It revealed the future of surveillance 10:27

    Auckland:
    A person's died in hospital following critical injuries obtained in a two vehicle crash in West Auckland late last night 10:27

    Living & Travel:
    Are the costumes for Wuthering Heights accurate? No. Are they magnificent? Absolutely yes 10:17

    Politics:
    A history of assassination reveals how ‘targeted killings’ became an extension of state power 10:07

    Entertainment:
    Iran's state TV airs 'forced confessions' of 'scapegoats' whose families fear could face execution 10:07

    Soccer:
    A breakthrough for Brentford in their fourth round FA Cup football match 10:07

    Entertainment:
    Michelle Yeoh thinks Hollywood can be slow to progress because some people are scared to "lose out" 9:57

    Health & Safety:
    Health experts are demanding tougher alcohol laws to prevent children from being influenced into drinking 9:47

    Entertainment:
    Chloë Sevigny wants to celebrate the inclusivity and diversity of New York fashion 9:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd