News | International
31 Aug 2025 1:15
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Ten people killed and more than 30 others missing in China floods

    At least 10 people have been killed and more than 30 others are missing after flooding and mudslides hit the country's north-west.


    Ten people are dead and 33 missing after flash floods and mudslides hit north-west China's Gansu province, state media reported, the latest disaster in a series of lethal weather events to hit the country.

    Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered "utmost effort" in rescuing the missing people on Friday, state broadcaster CCTV said.

    Due to the "frequent occurrence of extreme weather", Mr Xi ordered all regions to "resolutely overcome complacency" and strengthen efforts to identify risks, the broadcaster added.

    Natural disasters are common across China, particularly in the summer, when some regions experience heavy rain while others bake in searing heat.

    From August 7, "continuous heavy rain" in Gansu triggered flash floods, with the death toll on Friday afternoon standing at 10, CCTV said.

    Local authorities had issued the highest-level emergency warning for flash floods overnight.

    A video shared by the Communist Party-backed People's Daily showed more than a dozen rescuers clinging to a rope as they pushed through torrents of mud, while photos posted by Gansu's government showed roads covered in silt and large stones.

    Heavy rains trapped 4,000 people living in the mountainous Xinglong area and pushed garbage into roads, CCTV reported earlier Friday.

    Three people were missing after a mudslide in Maliantan village, it said.

    Footage shared by Chinese fire authorities on Weibo showed rescuers in Maliantan guiding people through rushing grey water.

    Beijing's top economic planner said it was allocating 100 million yuan ($21.3 million) towards disaster relief in Gansu. 

    Local weather authorities at midday on Friday predicted more rain in some areas, including near the Yellow River -- China's second-biggest waterway. 

    Seven people killed in mudslide

    The country's south has also experienced torrential downpours this week. 

    CCTV reported Friday that all seven people missing after a landslide in Guangdong province had been killed. 

    Ten of thousands of people were evacuated across Guangdong this week, with heavy rains flooding residential neighbourhoods and shops.

    The government has also allocated 100 million yuan ($21.3 million) toward recovery efforts there, the National Development and Reform Commission said.

    Last month, heavy rains in northern Beijing killed 44 people, with the capital's rural suburbs hit the hardest.

    A landslide in a village in Hebei province, which encircles Beijing, killed another eight people.

    Scientists warn the intensity and frequency of global extreme weather events will increase as the planet continues to heat up because of fossil fuel emissions.

    China is the world's biggest emitter, but it is also a global renewable energy powerhouse that aims to make its massive economy carbon-neutral by 2060.

    AFP/ABC


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Aug: One of the most popular apps in the US is 'fuelling a gender divide', experts warn
     30 Aug: King Charles, Prince William and the royals' love-hate relationship with Buckingham Palace
     30 Aug: Australian qualifier Priscilla Hon loses to American Ann Li in the third round of US Open
     30 Aug: North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, will join Russia's Vladimir Putin,, at China's military parade
     30 Aug: Journalists in Gaza say they feel their lives are 'worth nothing'
     30 Aug: Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality
     30 Aug: Indonesian protests spread as anger grows over death of motorcycle driver who hit by police car
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    A Powerball player from Opotiki has won $12.5 million in tonight's Lotto draw 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Three people are seriously injured after a car crashed in the small Waikato town of Karamu, about 7:30 this evening 21:17

    Business:
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions 18:57

    Rugby:
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC 18:37

    Business:
    A range of salad products, sold at supermarkets, have been recalled for potentially containing metal filings 18:07

    Tennis:
    To the US tennis Open, where Brit Cameron Norrie's lost his seventh match from seven outings against Novak Djokovic 17:37

    Rugby:
    The Canterbury men's rugby team have maintained their unbeaten run in the NPC 17:27

    International:
    One of the most popular apps in the US is 'fuelling a gender divide', experts warn 17:07

    Rugby:
    South Africa may not have been at their best so far in an up-and-down Rugby Championship but a former Springbok is tipping his old side to get up big-time for the All Blacks 16:57

    Motoring:
    High winds are expected on Auckland's Harbour Bridge through to nine this evening 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd