News | International
7 Apr 2025 10:04
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

    British police charge actor and comedian Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.


    British police have charged Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    In a statement released Friday, local time, London's Metropolitan Police listed five charges, dating from 1999 to 2005, related to four women.

    It said Mr Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

    "The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," the statement said.

    The comedian denied charges of rape and indecent assault, saying he had been an addict in the past "but what I never was was a rapist".

    In a video posted on X, Brand said: "I was a fool … I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."

    In 2023, the Sunday Times newspaper and UK network Channel 4's documentary show "Dispatches" reported that four women had accused Brand of sexual assaults, including a rape, between 2006 and 2013.

    After the allegations were published, police opened an investigation.

    According to the Met's statement on Friday, it's alleged Mr Brand:

    • Raped a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999
    • Indecently assaulted a woman in London in 2001
    • Orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in London in 2004
    • Sexually assaulted a woman in London between 2004 and 2005

    Mr Brand, 50, is the former husband of US pop star Katy Perry and was one of Britain's most high-profile comedians and broadcasters.

    The Get Him To The Greek actor has previously denied the allegations, saying his relationships were "always consensual".

    In the 2000s, he was a regular on global screens, known for his flamboyant style and appearance.

    By the early 2020s he had faded from mainstream culture, appearing primarily on his internet channel where he airs his views on US politics, free speech and promotes conspiracy theories.

    Last year, he was also spotted at the Republican National Convention in the United States, and posed in snaps with some of the party's prominent figures.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said the women who made reports against Mr Brand continued to receive support. 

    "[We] ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," he said.

    Mr Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on May 2.

    Reuters/AFP


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     07 Apr: Littleproud says Coalition government would urge Pacific to be 'more aggressive' on China
     07 Apr: Ukrainian troops warn a ceasefire 'won't work with the Russians'
     06 Apr: Max Verstappen wins F1 Japanese Grand Prix, as Oscar Piastri finishes third behind teammate Lando Norris
     06 Apr: Why do states and territories have different school holidays?
     06 Apr: Australian snowboarder Mia Clift wins World Cup silver medal in Canada
     06 Apr: Olympics boss promises affordable tickets for Brisbane 2032
     05 Apr: Australian space tourist returns to Earth after private flight over the poles
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Wayne Gretzky's NHL ice hockey goal-scoring record - a mark often considered by pundits as untouchable - has been eclipsed by Alex Ovechkin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Prime Minister says US tariffs are set to slow the world economy, increase inflation and create currency challenges More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Justin Baldoni has urged a judge to reject Ryan Reynolds' motion to dismiss a $400 million defamation lawsui 9:44

    Soccer:
    The Phoenix men have broken a winless drought dating to January 20 9:27

    Hockey:
    Wayne Gretzky's NHL ice hockey goal-scoring record - a mark often considered by pundits as untouchable - has been eclipsed by Alex Ovechkin 9:07

    Business:
    The Prime Minister says US tariffs are set to slow the world economy, increase inflation and create currency challenges 8:57

    Politics:
    Littleproud says Coalition government would urge Pacific to be 'more aggressive' on China 7:57

    Law and Order:
    Otago University's infamous Hyde Street Party went off without a hitch 7:47

    Rugby League:
    Former New Zealand sevens player Moses Leo has successfully switched to league's NRL after debuting in Melbourne's 48-24 win over Manly 7:37

    Cycling:
    A blistering attack on the cobblestones has seen Tadej Pogacar solo to victory in cycling's Tour of Flanders for a second time 7:37

    Business:
    Mark Lister from Craigs Investment Partners says the sell-off on US markets has been historic 7:27

    Law and Order:
    A decision on the employment hearing for a former Christchurch Boys High School teacher, claiming unjustified dismissal, could be a while away 7:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd