News | Entertainment
1 Sep 2025 0:40
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    James Van Der Beek was "as honest as possible" with his children about his cancer diagnosis because he didn't want to "confuse" them

    The former Dawson's Creek star - who has Olivia, 14, Joshua, 13, Annabel, 11, Emilia, nine, Gwendolyn, six, and Jeremiah, two, with wife Kimberly - was diagnosed with stage 3 colo-rectal cancer last year and didn't want to hide the news from his broos because "they know" when he's not doing well


    Speaking on Today, he said: "I'm far from an expert, but our approach was just to be as honest as possible, as honest to the degree of their understanding, right? Because they know.

    "They can sense that Dad's having a tough day.

    "They know if Dad's in pain. They know, and so by not telling them, I think you're confusing them even more."

    James has found "a lot of beauty" in his health struggles because of the way his kids have responded.

    He said: "I have kids making me tea. 'Dad, what do you need?' There's been a lot of beauty that's come out of it, but I would love to save everybody this journey, which is why I'm saying get screened."

    The 48-year-old actor advised other parents in a similar situation to share the news with their children as they will be surprised by the resilience of youngsters.

    He said: "When you tell them what you're doing, and you tell them the approach, they can see it and they can feel it, and I think it's also your journey is their journey."

    At the moment, James is "feeling great" but views battling the disease as a "full-time job".

    He said: "Today, I'm feeling great, yeah. It's been a journey. There are just so many ups and downs and so many unknowns. Cancer is - I call it a full-time job."

    James has made a number of changes to his life, including practicing yoga and trying the keto diet and has learned to slow down.

    He told Today.com: "[I've been finding] the beauty of just taking things a little bit more slowly and prioritizing rest and really allowing that to be the job," he tells TODAY.com.

    And he is happy he has continued to work, with a role in upcoming TV series Elle.

    He said: "The greatest thing about work is a cancer doesn't exist between action and cut.

    "It was fun to drop in and just have a blast because it's such a great cast, a great production, and everybody out there is really talented."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Nick and Vanessa Lachey always try to present a "united" front to their children
     30 Aug: Benedict Cumberbatch refuses to be away from his family for more than two weeks at a time
     30 Aug: Riz Ahmed was hospitalised for "something silent and intense" while filming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
     30 Aug: George Clooney thinks he's been the "recipient of a lot of luck" in his life
     30 Aug: Maren Morris has witnessed fans "healing from [her] healing" following her divorce
     30 Aug: Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour
     30 Aug: Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    State Highway 1 The Desert Road from across the central plateau is closed Rangipo to Waiouru 21:57

    Living & Travel:
    The wild weather's causing major disruptions to ground operations at Auckland Airport 21:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd