News | International
1 Sep 2025 4:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    UK police say 146 victims have come forward over Harrods boss Mohamed Al Fayed

    The number of victims has risen considerably since a BBC investigation into the billionaire late last year.


    British police say at least 146 people are being treated as victims of late billionaire Harrods boss Mohamed Al Fayed.

    In a statement to the ABC, the Metropolitan Police said it continued to call for more people to come forward with information to help its investigation, which was stood up in November.

    It followed reports in the British press of a video update by police which was sent to victims, in which they said that a number of further witnesses, both men and women, had come forward to give evidence.

    Al Fayed, who was a prominent figure in the UK, died in 2023 at the age of 94.

    The number of victims linked to the Egyptian billionaire has risen sharply since 21 people first came forward in September with allegations of sexual assault, including five who accused him of rape.

    It is also an increase on the last official number of 90 victims disclosed by the Metropolitan Police in November.

    A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told the ABC that the "live investigation into those who could have facilitated or enabled Mohamed Al Fayed's offending continues".

    "We continue to support all victims and we urge anyone with information, whether they were directly affected by Mohamed Al Fayed's actions or aware of others who may have been involved, or committed offences to come forward."

    The Metropolitan Police's investigation is also looking into who may have enabled and facilitated Al Fayed's abuse, and whether there was any misconduct or corruption involved.

    The ABC reported in October that at least six Australians were among those accusing Al Fayed.

    At the time, 421 people had contacted the accusers' legal team making various allegations about Al Fayed.

    Al Fayed owned the prominent Harrods department store, one of London's most popular tourist attractions, between 1985 and 2010.

    The store's new owners last year said they had settled civil claims with some of Al Fayed's accusers.

    The billionaire was a household name in the UK thanks to his wealth, eccentricity and connection to Princess Diana.

    His son Dodi Al Fayed was killed alongside Princess Diana in a Paris car crash in 1997.


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     31 Aug: No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save
     31 Aug: Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now
     31 Aug: Police seize more than $70m in tobacco and vape products in historic bust
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     31 Aug: Three dead after angry mob sets fire to parliament building in Indonesia
     31 Aug: These pro-Palestine activists spoke up. A 'nefarious' website is now after them
     31 Aug: What time does the F1 Dutch Grand Prix start? How can I watch?
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    State Highway 1 The Desert Road from across the central plateau is closed Rangipo to Waiouru 21:57

    Living & Travel:
    The wild weather's causing major disruptions to ground operations at Auckland Airport 21:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd