News | Living & Travel
7 Aug 2020 4:56
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Living & Travel

    Travellers to be charged $3,000 for coronavirus quarantine in South Australian hotels

    International travellers returning home will soon be charged for hotel quarantine in SA, after the State Government deemed they had been given "plenty of time" to get back by now.


    International travellers returning home will soon be charged up to $3,000 each for hotel quarantine in South Australia, ending free supervised isolation for those coming into the state.

    SA Premier Steven Marshall today announced that individuals will have to pay for 14-day quarantine in Adelaide hotels, starting from Saturday later this week.

    An individual adult will be charged $3,000, with an extra $1,000 for another adult from the same family, plus $500 per child.

    "Up until this point, taxpayers have been footing the bill," Mr Marshall said.

    "The Prime Minister has said since March of this year — Australians overseas should get back.

    "He's given them plenty of time — there will now be a charge from Saturday onwards."

    Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged overseas Australians to return to the country on March 17, ahead of COVID-19 border closures.

    Mr Marshall stressed today that SA was "still keen to assist with the national repatriation program" and added that his government would consider "hardship and payment terms" for travellers who may struggle to meet the cost of hotel quarantine.

    Mr Marshall said the SA Government would not make any profit from the charges, but that they would recover costs.

    Hundreds of Australians arriving at Adelaide Airport from overseas have been taken into mandatory hotel quarantine since the introduction of travel restrictions aimed at preventing COVID-19 outbreaks in South Australia.

    Last week, Mr Marshall announced that all domestic travellers crossing into the state from Victoria would be "required" to take a COVID-19 test.

    Health Minister Stephen Wade later clarified that testing would not be "mandatory" for Victorians, but that they were expected to take the test, and could be subject to a legal order to do so if they refused.

    Policy in line with NSW model

    The new quarantine payment policy follows the lead of the New South Wales Government, which yesterday announced that it would be charging travellers returning to Sydney for hotel quarantine.

    Travellers to NSW will be charged using the same pricing model of $3,000 per individual, $1,000 per additional adult and $500 per child.

    But those arriving in Sydney will have an extra week's notice — until next Saturday — than those returning to SA before the scheme kicks in.

    By mid-last month, it had already cost the NSW Government $50 million to put more than 25,000 travellers through hotel quarantine, according to official figures obtained by ABC News at the time.

    NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said yesterday more than 35,000 returned travellers have now been put up in Sydney hotels.


    ABC




    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Living & Travel News
     06 Aug: Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett's been left bewildered after breaking the NRL's strict biosecurity rules by dining out
     06 Aug: New changes to rental laws hope to support victims of family violence
     06 Aug: There'll be 38 million dollars up for grabs on Saturday after Powerball rolled over
     05 Aug: Virgin Australia plans to make about a third of its workforce redundant
     05 Aug: An Auckland restaurant is being dished up a taste of its own medicine
     04 Aug: A group of Tongan citizens stuck in New Zealand since the start of lockdown are finally heading home
     04 Aug: The Mayor of Kapiti Coast's calling for more details from National's transport plan
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Eight losses on the trot, but Chiefs coach Warren Gatland hasn't lost his sense of humour More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Government's giving 30 million dollars to build a high performance sports hub in Upper Hutt More...



     Today's News

    Golf:
    Jordan Spieth's determined to complete his career grand slam this week 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Orlando Bloom is hoping his desperate search to find his missing dog has proven to his fiancée Katy Perry how much love he has in his heart 21:44

    Accident and Emergency:
    A pedestrian has died after being hit by a car on State Highway 1 in Hikurangi, Whangarei 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Ashley James is expecting a baby boy 21:14

    Entertainment:
    Jonathan Cheban has allegedly been robbed at gunpoint 20:44

    International:
    Hiroshima's atomic bomb changed Koko Kondo's life, but so did meeting the man who dropped it 20:27

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson are “very much together” 20:14

    Entertainment:
    Ashley Graham believes “mommy-shaming” on social media is “out of control” 19:44

    International:
    Could we cure coronavirus? 19:17

    Entertainment:
    Chloe Bridges knew Adam Devine was “the one” after their first “disagreement” 19:14


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd