News | Entertainment
6 Dec 2020 15:00
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2020 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     05 Dec: Nikki Bella and Artem Chigvintsev are planning an autumn 2021 wedding
     05 Dec: Meghan Trainor insists her baby is “healthy” amid her battle with gestational diabetes
     05 Dec: George Clooney was “raised” to be politically conscious
     05 Dec: Harry Styles insists the members of One Direction don’t pit themselves against one another
     05 Dec: Jessica Simpson is dyslexic and struggles with reading out loud
     05 Dec: Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively “enjoy being parents more than anything”
     05 Dec: Selena Gomez wants people struggling with their mental health to know they’re “not alone”
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ireland's claimed third in rugby's Autumn Nations Cup with a 31-16 win over Scotland in Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Lotto players in Tairua, Lower Hutt and Wellington share tonight's $1 million Lotto Division One prize money More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    Hundreds of protesters have gathered in Auckland's Aotea Square -- in solidarity with Indian farmers 14:57

    International:
    Donald Trump repeats unfounded claims of US election corruption as he rallies for Republican Senate candidates in Georgia 14:57

    Cricket:
    Justification for enforcing the follow-on from Black Caps skipper Kane Williamson in the first cricket test against the West Indies in Hamilton 14:47

    Soccer:
    Matthew Ridenton knows he has his work cut out to break into the Wellington Phoenix starting XI  14:37

    Law and Order:
    An investigation's been launched after a gunshot was fired at a popular bar in Auckland's CBD early this morning 14:27

    Politics:
    The Prime Minister is giving little away as to whether the Muslim community will get a Minister to deal with the Christchurch mosque attack response 14:17

    Motoring:
    Paekakariki Hill Road near Wellington has been closed following a crash involving a car and a ute 13:47

    Accident and Emergency:
    Police are at the scene of a serious crash on State Highway 30, at Horohoro in Bay of Plenty 13:07

    Health & Safety:
    New research is seeking to improve breast cancer survival for younger women 12:27

    Soccer:
    Chelsea's back up to top of the Premier League football ladder 11:56


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd