News | International
3 Aug 2021 1:12
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony director Kentaro Kobayashi fired for past comments on the Holocaust

    The man in charge of the Olympic opening ceremony is fired a little over 24 hours before the event following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.


    The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics has been dismissed following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

    Kentaro Kobayashi was sacked because of comments that made fun of a tragedy, Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto said.

    Mr Kobayashi — a comedian, actor, director, and manga artist — was accused of using a joke about the Holocaust in a comedy act as part of TV comedy duo Rahmens back in 1998, including the phrase: "Let's play Holocaust."

    His dismissal comes just a day before the opening ceremony of the pandemic-delayed Games.

    Global human rights organisation the Simon Wiesenthal Center condemned the comments.

    “Any person, no matter how creative, does not have the right to mock the victims of the Nazi genocide," Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the Center's associate dean, said.

    "The Nazi regime also gassed Germans with disabilities. Any association of this person to the Tokyo Olympics would insult the memory of 6 million Jews and make a cruel mockery of the Paralympics."

    Seiko Hashimoto, Tokyo 2020 president, said she apologised for the incident where the Games hired someone who had "said lines that mocked a painful historic fact".

    "The Opening Ceremony is just around the corner, I apologise deeply to the many relevant people, the people of Tokyo, and the people of the nation for causing inconvenience," she said.

    Earlier this week, a composer whose music is expected to be used at the opening ceremony was forced to resign after boasting about being a classroom bully in magazine interviews.

    Mr Kobayashi had been appointed as director for the opening and closing ceremonies after his predecessor, Hiroshi Sasaki, resigned over a controversy about inappropriate comments saying popular Japanese female entertainer Naomi Watanabe could play a role as an "Olympig"

    Ms Hashimoto said she was aware that there were many people who did not want to see the opening ceremony after a series of scandals.

    But she insisted she had no intention of stepping down as head of the Tokyo organising committee.

    Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday that he was "taking very seriously" the recent scandals involving the Olympic organising committee, adding that the opening ceremony should be held as planned on Friday.

    The ceremony will be held in an empty stadium because of COVID concerns. 

    Wires/ABC

    © 2021 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     02 Aug: Chinese trolls infuriated by loss to Taiwan in Olympic badminton gold medal match
     02 Aug: Indonesia's COVID emergency impacting the way girls and women have their periods
     02 Aug: How Emma McKeon's magic week in the pool helped her make Olympic history
     02 Aug: US and UK believe Iran attacked Israeli-managed tanker off Oman, promise 'appropriate response'
     02 Aug: New Zealand human rights commission launches inquiry into housing crisis
     02 Aug: Who is Lamont Marcell Jacobs, and how did a long jump specialist from Italy become the world's fastest man?
     02 Aug: Shane Warne in isolation after testing positive for COVID-19, says London Spirit cricket team
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Kiwi equestrian Tim Price is lamenting crucial errors during his run in the jumping phase, contributing to New Zealand missing out on a team medal in the three-day team eventing More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A high-profile Auckland businessman's appealing his conviction for breaching the name suppression of Grace Millane's killer More...



     Today's News

    Equestrian:
    Kiwi equestrian Tim Price is lamenting crucial errors during his run in the jumping phase, contributing to New Zealand missing out on a team medal in the three-day team eventing 23:36

    Cycling:
    The New Zealand men's team pursuit will square off against Italy tomorrow night in the Olympics velodrome with the winner advancing to a gold medal ride 21:46

    Entertainment:
    Dolly Parton has sent her support to Britney Spears 21:34

    International:
    Chinese trolls infuriated by loss to Taiwan in Olympic badminton gold medal match 21:06

    International:
    Indonesia's COVID emergency impacting the way girls and women have their periods 21:06

    Entertainment:
    Debbie Harry was "very emotional" at her 76th birthday party 21:04

    Swimming:
    How Emma McKeon's magic week in the pool helped her make Olympic history 20:36

    Entertainment:
    Shanna Moakler has split from her boyfriend 20:34

    Entertainment:
    NeNe Leakes' husband is home from hospital after undergoing cancer treatment last month 20:04

    Entertainment:
    Stephen Dorff "felt bad" for slamming Scarlett Johansson for her work on 'Black Widow' 19:34


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd