News | Entertainment
11 Aug 2022 15:19
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    John Leguizamo is calling for "no more appropriation" after James Franco was cast as Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro in an upcoming film

    He hit out after it was revealed earlier this week the 44-year-old Californian will be playing Castro in indie project 'Alina of Cuba'


    Colombian-born John, 62, vented on his Instagram on Friday (06.08.22):

    "How is this still going on? How is Hollywood excluding us but stealing our narratives as well?'?

    His post quickly racked up almost 10,000 likes.

    It went on: "No more appropriation Hollywood and streamers! Boycott!

    This F'd up! Plus seriously difficult story to tell without aggrandizement which would b wrong!

    "I don't got a prob with Franco but he ain't Latino!"

    Among commenters on the post was 'The View' co-host Ana Navarro who told 'Summer of Sam' star John she would join him in boycotting the film.

    She said: "I'd like to think no Latino actor worth their salt would sign up to play and aggrandize a murderous dictator who terrorized the people of Cuba for six decades. For both reasons you articulated, I join you in the boycott."

    The Castro film in which James is set to appear is being helmed by Spanish director Miguel Bardem.

    He will be joined by actress Mía Maestro, 47, who will play the role of socialite Natalia 'Naty' Revuelta, Castro's one-time mistress.

    Ana Villafañe, 33, is playing the role of Alina Fernandez, daughter of Castro and Revuelta.

    Written by Jose Rivera and Nilo Cruz it will show the life story of Cuban exile and social campaigner Fernandez, who found out aged 10 she was Castro's daughter.

    Fernandez became an anti-communism activist who was arrested multiple times for her attempts to flee Cuba, and banned from travelling outside the country. She defected to Spain in 1993 and settled in Miami.

    The film will reportedly begin shooting August 15 in the Colombian cities of Cartagena and Bogota.

    Producer John Martinez O'Felan told Deadline "finding and convincing James Franco to play Castro, was a fun and challenging process and has been the collaborative work of the universe, because our director's original order was to find an actor who holds a close physical resemblance to the real Castro to build from, along with finding someone Alina Fernandez would strongly endorse".

    He added that after a comprehensive search "into our hopefuls through the eye of Spanish and Portuguese genealogy which the Galicians held", James was found to have the "closest facial likeness of our industry's leading actors, meaning that the focus would be to build out his character accent and we'd have a stunning on-screen match to intrigue audiences and bring the story to life with true visual integrity".

    He said casting Villafañe and Maestro were "no-brainers" as "besides the trajectory of their past work" one "represents modern Cuban-America" and the other Argentina.

    © 2022 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     11 Aug: Oscars producer Will Packer has praised Will Smith for his public apology to Chris Rock
     11 Aug: WWE has discovered more "unrecorded expenses" made by Vince McMahon bringing the total to $19.6 million
     11 Aug: Olivia Newton-John "was not afraid" of dying
     11 Aug: Donald Trump is "furious yet scared" after the FBI raided Mar A Lago
     11 Aug: Jennette McCurdy wants Ariana Grande to read her new memoir, 'I'm Glad My Mom Died'
     11 Aug: Jane Lynch isn't pulling out of 'Funny Girl' on Broadway to avoid Lea Michele
     11 Aug: Chrissy Teigen shared the first sonogram of her unborn baby
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    South Africa will start with hooker Joseph Dweba in Saturday's second Rugby Championship Test against New Zealand after Bongi Mbonambi withdrew due to a knee injury picked up in training More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Kiwis with itchy feet are taking the chance to see the world again More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    The rugby league world is in mourning the sudden death of Paul Green 15:09

    Entertainment:
    Oscars producer Will Packer has praised Will Smith for his public apology to Chris Rock 14:50

    Cricket:
    Runs on the board has prevailed as a strategy for New Zealand in their 13-run win to open the three-match Twenty20 international cricket series against the West Indies in Jamaica 14:49

    Entertainment:
    WWE has discovered more "unrecorded expenses" made by Vince McMahon bringing the total to $19.6 million 14:20

    Law and Order:
    FBI charges Iranian agent over plot to murder former US national security adviser John Bolton 14:19

    Business:
    Kiwis with itchy feet are taking the chance to see the world again 13:59

    Entertainment:
    Olivia Newton-John "was not afraid" of dying 13:50

    Health & Safety:
    New Zealand's Covid infections continue to fall 13:49

    Business:
    The property market is varying between regions 13:29

    Business:
    Gas users and experts call for federal crackdown on east coast 'gas cartel' 13:19


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2022 New Zealand City Ltd