News | Entertainment
4 Apr 2025 16:04
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    The US government has blocked the release of Prince Harry's visa records

    Think tank Heritage Foundation had made a legal challenge to have the Duke of Sussex's immigration paperwork made public after the 38-year-old royal revealed he had previously used cocaine, marijuana, and magic mushrooms but on Wednesday (14.06.23) they shared a letter from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which said they were rejecting the request due to privacy concerns


    Jimmy Wolfrey, a senior DHS official, wrote: "To the extent records exist, this office does not find a public interest in disclosure sufficient to override the subject's privacy interests,"

    Nile Gardiner, director of the Heritage Foundation's Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom, said the response "shows an appalling lack of transparency by the Biden Administration" and vowed to continue campaigning for the records to be released.

    He added: "The Department of Homeland Security's efforts to stonewall the Heritage Foundation's Freedom of Information request are unacceptable, and we will be contesting their position."

    The case will now return to Washington federal court.

    In his memoir, Harry candidly confessed to using cocaine and cannabis, as well as consuming magic mushroom chocolates at a party hosted by 'Friends' actress Courteney Cox, 58, in 2016.

    The book's release and the subsequent media frenzy prompted the Heritage Foundation to demand the release of Harry's visa application through a Freedom of Information request, which the government has so far denied.

    As part of the visa application process, immigrants seeking entry or permanent residence in the US are required to disclose their history of drug use.

    According to US immigration laws, individuals deemed "drug abusers" are classified as "inadmissible", although immigration officials have discretion to waive these rules on a case-by-case basis.

    The Heritage Foundation's pursuit of Harry's immigration records aims to uncover what he revealed to the authorities during his application, whether a waiver was granted, and who made the decision.

    In a statement, the think tank asserted: "The American people deserve answers to the serious questions raised by the evidence. Did (the) DHS (Department of Homeland Security), in fact, turn a blind eye, show favouritism, or fail to appropriately address any potential false statements by Prince Harry?"

    Following their decision to step down as working members of the royal family, Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 41, moved to Los Angeles in March 2020.

    If it is found Harry, who has Prince Archie, four, and two-year-old Princess Lilibet with Meghan, provided false information about drug use on his immigration forms, he could potentially face deportation and the loss of his US residency status.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     04 Apr: Johnny Tillotson - the singer and songwriter best known for the 1960 hit 'Poetry in Motion' - has died aged 86
     04 Apr: David Schwimmer went through a phrase of hating the 'Friends' theme tune
     04 Apr: Michael Jackson's beloved chimpanzee Bubbles has turned 42
     04 Apr: Val Kilmer spent the last 24 years of his life single
     04 Apr: Teddi Mellencamp has revealed doctors discovered four more brain tumours during an emergency MRI
     04 Apr: Meghan, Duchess of Sussex sold out the first batch of her new As Ever products within half-an-hour
     04 Apr: Jennifer Tilly has paid a glowing tribute to Val Kilmer
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    One of Super Rugby's form players is keeping mum around his future plans More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Insurer IAG has apologised for mistakes in applying discounts More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Johnny Tillotson - the singer and songwriter best known for the 1960 hit 'Poetry in Motion' - has died aged 86 15:48

    Cricket:
    The Black Caps will finish their home summer without the services of top-order batsman Mark Chapman 15:37

    Politics:
    A call to action, as Gisborne hospital staff shortages become even more critical 15:27

    Law and Order:
    Armed Police are stationed in Levin, searching for two people who fled after a car chase 15:27

    Entertainment:
    David Schwimmer went through a phrase of hating the 'Friends' theme tune 15:18

    Law and Order:
    Police say the suspected killing of a man in Wellington's Northland isn't linked to a number of other recent homicides in the capital 15:17

    Entertainment:
    Michael Jackson's beloved chimpanzee Bubbles has turned 42 14:48

    Entertainment:
    Val Kilmer spent the last 24 years of his life single 14:18

    Politics:
    As Israel begins another assault in Gaza, Netanyahu is fighting his own war against the country’s legal system 14:17

    International:
    US markets plummet in wake of Donald Trump's reciprocal tariffs plan 14:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd