News | International
28 Feb 2024 0:50
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Prince Harry arrives in London after King Charles III's cancer diagnosis made public

    Prince Harry arrives in London and spends about 45 minutes at his father's royal residence, Clarence House, on Tuesday as King Charles III is pictured for the first time since his cancer diagnosis was made public.


    Prince Harry arrived in London and spent about 45 minutes at his father's royal residence, Clarence House, on Tuesday as King Charles III was pictured for the first time since his cancer diagnosis was made public.

    Harry, who has fallen out with the King and other royals in recent years, boarded a flight from Los Angeles shortly after the monarch's condition was announced by Buckingham Palace — although he was already aware of it.

    The Duke of Sussex landed in Britain on Tuesday afternoon and went straight to Clarence House, where King Charles was staying, about 2:45pm local time.

    At 3:30pm, the King and Queen Camilla were photographed waving to onlookers as they left the property on The Mall and were driven to nearby Buckingham Palace.

    The couple then left for another royal residence, Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, via helicopter. Harry left Clarence House separately to his father.

    Meetings between Harry and the King have been scarce since the 39-year-old stepped back from royal duties almost four years ago.

    The Duke of Sussex attended his father's coronation last May, but it's understood there are no plans for him to reunite with his brother, Prince William, while he's in the UK.

    Charles smiled and waved to passers-by as he was driven from Clarence House. It was the first time he'd been seen publicly since the diagnosis was made public.

    The palace has said the King remained "wholly positive", and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak earlier said the cancer had been caught early.

    Buckingham Palace has not released details about the type or stage of cancer the King has, or a prognosis.

    The palace says the 75-year-old monarch will step back from public-facing commitments but continue official duties as the head of state of the UK and Australia.

    Harry had been living in the US with his wife Meghan and two children after quitting royal duties in 2020.

    Earlier on Tuesday, Mr Sunak said he was "shocked and sad" to hear of King Charles's cancer diagnosis.

    Mr Sunak told the BBC he was thankful the illness was "caught early", and he hoped the king made a speedy recovery.

    "All our thoughts are with him and his family. You know, thankfully, this has been caught early," he told the BBC.

    "He'll just be in our thoughts and our prayers — many families around the country listening to this will have been touched by the same thing and they know what it means to everyone.

    "So we’ll just be willing him on and hopefully we can get through this as quickly as possible."

    Mr Sunak told BBC Radio on Tuesday he was in regular contact with the king and that would continue during his treatment.

    "That will of course continue as normal and we'll crack on with everything," Mr Sunak said.

    Charles, who became King in September 2022 following the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth, has begun a series of treatments, the palace said, adding he was looking forward to returning full-time to his duties as soon as possible.

    The news of the diagnosis comes after Charles spent three nights in hospital last month where he underwent a corrective procedure for a benign enlarged prostate.

    The palace said a separate issue of concern had been spotted during that hospital stay, but has not given any further details beyond saying tests had revealed the King had a "form of cancer".

    "No further details are being shared at this stage, except to confirm that his majesty does not have prostate cancer," the palace said.

    "Throughout this period, his majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual."

    Prince William is expected to step up to fulfil some of the monarch's duties.

    Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the "thoughts of all Australians are with King Charles and his family".

    "Australians know that His Majesty King Charles has always reached out to us in our country's toughest moments, showing kindness and care for those doing it tough," he said on social media.

    "All of us are thinking of him and his family in this very hard time.

    "We wish him well for a speedy recovery."

    Reuters/ ABC

    © 2024 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     27 Feb: What we learned looking inside TikTok's live-streaming money machine
     27 Feb: US Odysseus Moon lander mission cut short after landing sideways, Japan's SLIM survives another lunar night
     27 Feb: Timor-Leste farmers fear Indonesia is set to take their land as centuries-old dispute comes to a climax
     26 Feb: New Zealand rallysprint crash kills 15-year-old driver and 35-year-old co-driver
     26 Feb: Bree Walker misses podium at World monobob World Championships by 0.07 seconds
     26 Feb: Producers Guild Awards winners list: Oppenheimer becomes prohibitive Oscar favourite with PGA win
     26 Feb: Good Samaritan ends four-year search for dying father's gift to daughter
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A former contender could be welcomed back to plug the Melbourne Rebels expected exit from Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Labour Party's Wellington branch is urging the City Council not to sell its Airport stake More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    The Labour Party's Wellington branch is urging the City Council not to sell its Airport stake 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Cruz Beckham wants to "prove himself" in the music business 21:50

    Entertainment:
    Kim Petras is open to writing another advertising jingle 21:20

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested over a firearms scare that sent Taupo schools into lockdown last week 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Romeo Beckham and Mia Regan have split 20:50

    Entertainment:
    Elle Macpherson spends the first few minutes of the day writing a "gratitude list" 20:20

    Entertainment:
    Ray Winstone has made some films purely because he needed to "pay the rent" 19:50

    Entertainment:
    Ian McShane thinks the backlash he received from 'Game of Thrones' fans was "ridiculous" 19:20

    Accident and Emergency:
    Police are scouring the Tararua Forest Park, with helicopters, looking for a missing 72 year old man 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Kylie Minogue is enjoying the "freedom" that comes with being single 18:50


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2024 New Zealand City Ltd