News | Entertainment
29 May 2024 17:59
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry could reportedly face a bill of more than £1 million over his security funding court fight

    The Duke of Sussex, 39, has been fighting the 2020 decision to downgrade his taxpayer funded, round-the-clock protection when he quit senior royal duties with his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 42, to move to America


    But it emerged on Monday (15.04.24) the dad-of-two - who has children Archie, four, and two-year-old Lilibet with Meghan - he had lost his initial bid to appeal against the move.

    He is still able to ask the Court of Appeal directly for the green light to challenge Sir Peter's decision - but has been told to pay the majority of the UK Home Office's legal costs of defending his challenge over the decision to change the level of his security when he visits the UK.

    A Freedom of Information request has revealed that by October 2023, the government's legal costs to defend itself against Harry in the case had reached the £400,000-plus mark.

    By that point, the case had already cost the government legal department £265,437 and counsel £137,864.

    The Daily Star has reported it means Harry now faces having to pay back the taxpayer at least £500,000 after losing his challenge.

    It said his own legal costs are likely to be similar, if not more, than that sum, meaning he could end up with a bill of more than £1 million so far in his court fight.

    Harry launched legal action against the Home Office over the February 2020 decision of the ex ecutive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) that he should receive a different degree of taxpayer-funded protection when in the country.

    Ravec's decision came as a result of a change in his status after he stopped being a "full-time working member of the royal family", a judge was told.

    In a judgment in February, retired High Court justice Sir Peter Lane rejected Harry's case and concluded Ravec's approach was not irrational or procedurally unfair.

    Following the ruling, a spokesperson for the duke said he was going to challenge the judgment, adding the bloke "hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal".

    Harry argued he was "singled out" and treated "less favourably" than others by Ravec.

    He has previously asked to fund his own Metropolitan Police armed bodyguards but officials refused.

    Harry has also said he was unable to return to the UK with his family as it was "too dangerous" after his security was downgraded.

    He is allowed protection when he stays at royal residences or attends official events run by the Royal Family, but has to fund his security if visiting Britain for other reasons.

    © 2024 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 May: Shania Twain has "a lot of" emotional and physical scars"
     29 May: Trevor Noah finds it "strange" when celebrities try to be friends with each other just because they are famous
     29 May: Kerry Katona "can't cope" as her children have started to move out
     29 May: Bruce Dickinson's third marriage is the "calmest" he's "ever had"
     29 May: Leigh-Anne Pinnock has been warned not to share big news with her mum Debbie because she's been known to "leak" secrets on social media
     29 May: Hugh Grant refuses to watch himself on screen
     29 May: Ayesha Curry has given birth to a baby boy
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Crusaders prop Joe Moody's reflected on 12 years and 126 appearances for the defending Super Rugby champions as he prepares to retire More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Heart of the City says Smith and Caughey's closing will be devastating for Aucklanders More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Blustery winds are still causing trouble across the upper North Island -- and a wave of thunderstorms is sweeping across Auckland 17:57

    Entertainment:
    Shania Twain has "a lot of" emotional and physical scars" 17:47

    Entertainment:
    Trevor Noah finds it "strange" when celebrities try to be friends with each other just because they are famous 17:17

    Rugby League:
    Worries persist within New South Wales Origin camp after halfback Nicho Hynes failed to test out a troublesome calf injury in their first training session 17:17

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for information - with serious concerns about a 41-year-old tourist from China, missing in Christchurch 16:57

    Entertainment:
    Kerry Katona "can't cope" as her children have started to move out 16:47

    Law and Order:
    An acquaintance of a19-year-old crushed to death at a Dunedin party in 2019, says its organisers took standard safety measures 16:37

    Politics:
    Uncertainty surrounds PNG landslide death toll as relief supplies begin arriving at disaster zone 16:27

    Entertainment:
    Bruce Dickinson's third marriage is the "calmest" he's "ever had" 16:17

    Business:
    Heart of the City says Smith and Caughey's closing will be devastating for Aucklanders 16:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2024 New Zealand City Ltd