News | Entertainment
29 May 2024 5:06
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William promised to "look after" Catherine, Princess of Wales on his first official engagement since she revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer

    The 41-year-old royal helped out with loading and cooking at food distribution charity Surplus to Supper in Sudbury-on-Thames in Surrey on Thursday (18.04.24) and he appeared visibly moved when a volunteer handed him cards for his wife and his father, King Charles, who is also being treated for the disease


    William told Rachel Candappa: "Thank you, you are very kind".

    The 71-year-old volunteer told the prince to look after his wife and he put his hand on her shoulder as he promised: "I will".

    Speaking afterwards, Rachel admitted she didn't expect to be able to give the cards to William personally.

    She told the Daily Telegraph newspaper: "I was at home at 8.30 last night and I thought I had to do something this is a chance to give a card directly to the palace officials. I didn't think I'd be able to give the cards to William.

    "I said 'can I shake your hand', I loved it, he was very down to earth. I'm never washing my hand again.

    "He pointed at the food and said 'That's spaghetti hoops' and I asked 'How do you know about spaghetti hoops and he said 'I've got children'. "

    William watched as volunteers sorted out items including soaps, hand wash and make-up before pulling on an apron to help chef Mario Colfait, who was making bolognaise, chilli con carne and sausage casserole.

    He said: "It smells good in here Mario."

    The prince - who has three children with Catherine - joked he was worried about slicing off his fingers as he was handed a large knife to chop celery.

    He said: "It's the biggest knife, hope for the best. "I don't want to mess up everyone's lunch. I hope I haven't ruined your lunch, but you can blame me."

    As well as his efforts in the kitchen, William also privately gave the charity a box of unused food taken from the kitchen at his home in Windsor, Adelaide Cottage.

    Catherine announced in a video message on 22 March that she was being treated for cancer after the disease was detected following her abdominal surgery in January.

    © 2024 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     28 May: Carrie Fisher feared that 'Star Wars' would be a "disaster"
     28 May: Paul Weller feels "lucky" to have been so successful
     28 May: Alessandra Ambrosio is "usually mistaken" for Adriana Lima
     28 May: Selena Gomez wishes she "asked for help" with her mental health at a younger age
     28 May: Heidi Klum feels "lucky" to be 50
     28 May: Nicki Minaj spent between five and six hours in a jail cell after being arrested in the Netherlands
     28 May: Heidi Montag refused to take "shortcuts" in her weight-loss journey
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Maori All Blacks coach Ross Filipo is pushing for a game against the Springboks as part of a revival of traditional rugby tours More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank says changes to Debt-to-Income and Loan-to-Value Ratio restrictions will help, long-term More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    Why only six bodies of the thousands feared dead in the PNG landslide have been recovered 23:07

    Law and Order:
    Oregon's drug decriminalisation experiment is being rolled back after three years of addicts shooting up in front of police 22:57

    Basketball:
    The Dallas Stars have nosed in front in ice hockey's NHL western conference finals series with a 5-3 game three win against the Oilers in Edmonton 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Carrie Fisher feared that 'Star Wars' would be a "disaster" 21:47

    Entertainment:
    Paul Weller feels "lucky" to have been so successful 21:17

    Auckland:
    A man's been taken to hospital with serious injuries - after being impaled on a fence in South Auckland 21:17

    International:
    North Korea's attempt to launch second military satellite fails, quelling fears of improved missile capability 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Alessandra Ambrosio is "usually mistaken" for Adriana Lima 20:47

    International:
    Russia is gaining ground in Kharkiv with daily 'glide bomb' attacks and there's not much Ukraine can do about it 20:37

    Entertainment:
    Selena Gomez wishes she "asked for help" with her mental health at a younger age 20:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2024 New Zealand City Ltd