News | International
17 Jun 2024 0:56
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    More than 670 people now feared dead following landslide in Papua New Guinea's highlands

    The International Organisation for Migration's chief of mission in Papua New Guinea said the scale of impact was greater than initially thought.


    A United Nations agency has confirmed more than 670 people are presumed dead following a landslide in Papua New Guinea's highlands on Friday.

    Warning: This story contains distressing details.

    The International Organization for Migration's chief of mission in Papua New Guinea, Serhan Aktoprak, said the scale of the impact was much greater than initially thought.

    "Now, the estimates suggest that 150 plus houses may be under the debris of six to eight metres deep. And they are fearing that approximately 670 plus people could have lost their lives," Mr Aktoprak told the ABC.

    He said terrain surrounding the disaster zone in Enga province remained dangerous and unstable – prompting the evacuation of about 1,250 survivors.

    "When I was speaking with my colleagues … about an hour ago, as a matter of fact, they had to run away from the site because of the increased danger as rocks nonstop keep falling and the land continues to slide," Mr Aktoprak.

    "This coupled with the heavy bulk of soil that had already landed earlier, is putting pressure on the surrounding houses, hence the evacuation of those."

    The UN, government agencies, police and military personnel are assisting with the recovery.

    Locals were digging with shovels, sticks and bare hands to find people they fear are buried beneath rubble and rock. 

    By Sunday, only five bodies and a leg of a sixth victim had been recovered. 

    Homes and two health centres lie underneath where the side of the mountain gave way on Friday. 

    Complicated search and recovery process

    Local humanitarian groups say the long-term impact of the disaster is devastating. 

    "People have lost their house, they've lost their food gardens, they've lost their loved ones," CARE International PNG county director Justine McMahon said. 

    "We understand health facilities have been destroyed.

    "So that will really have an impact on people as well."

    But there are many obstacles to recovery, with loose soil still threatening nearby homes that have survived and roads into the village still remain obstructed, preventing excavators from getting to the site. 

    "The recovery time is expected to be long, search and rescue efforts are complicated due to the nature of the terrain and the remote access," UN humanitarian adviser Mate Bagossy told the ABC. 

    "So we expect search and rescue to continue for days or weeks."

    Beside the blocked highway, convoys have transported food, water and other essential supplies since Saturday to the devastated village 60 kilometres from the provincial capital, Wabag. 

    The convoys have been moving slowly, as they are not to travel through the area in the dark for security reasons, and daylight hours are getting shorter heading into winter. 

    To add to the complexity of the operation, Serhan Aktoprak told the ABC a dispute between two clans has erupted in Tambitanis village, approximately 27 kilometres, halfway, along the route. 

    "So far eight people have been killed … 30 houses had been burned down and five businesses, stores, shops have also been burned down," he said. 

    "Now this is also creating an increased risk of safety for [aid] convoys, including humanitarian personnel."

    Enga Province has had long-term issues with tribal warfare and dozens of people were killed in a massacre earlier this year. 

    Meanwhile, Papua New Guinea's government is under pressure after 18 members left the ruling party to join the opposition at the weekend — including former finance minister Rainbo Paita. 

    Prime Minister James Marape said he would not resign as leader, calling the split a "blessing in disguise". 

    "Some of the excess fat in government is trimmed so that we can have a lean and coherent government," he said in a statement. 

    A no-confidence motion in the prime minister is expected to be brought to parliament on Tuesday.

    Mr Marape has not responded to the ABC's requests for comment on the landslide. 

    On Friday, he offered condolences to the affected families.

    © 2024 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     16 Jun: Israeli military announces 'tactical pauses' in southern Gaza fighting to boost aid flow
     16 Jun: NSW allocates $450 million for more than 400 build-to-rent homes for essential workers
     16 Jun: Protesters march against France's far-right National Rally Party ahead of snap elections
     16 Jun: US swimmer Gretchen Walsh breaks world record to put Australia on notice following Paris Olympics trials
     16 Jun: Kate Middleton attends Trooping the Colour, making her first public appearance in months
     16 Jun: Eight Israeli soldiers and 19 Palestinians killed as fighting continues in Rafah
     16 Jun: Punks among grassroot groups providing hope as millions struggle with hunger in Myanmar
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks playmaker Beauden Barrett has made his return to rugby on New Zealand shores, suiting up for Coastal in the Taranaki Premier club rugby competition yesterday More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Auckland Transport says Auckland's trains will be operating on a reduced timetable again tomorrow because of the continued industrial action by train staff More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Auckland Transport says Auckland's trains will be operating on a reduced timetable again tomorrow because of the continued industrial action by train staff 21:57

    Law and Order:
    Police want to speak with people who saw a crash between a black SUV and a light truck and trailer near Hampton Downs on Friday 21:17

    International:
    Israeli military announces 'tactical pauses' in southern Gaza fighting to boost aid flow 21:07

    Environment:
    A severe thunderstorm warning's been issued for Wellington and the Wairarapa 18:57

    Netball:
    The Mainland Tactix are the new leaders in netball's ANZ Premiership 18:37

    Politics:
    NSW allocates $450 million for more than 400 build-to-rent homes for essential workers 18:17

    Law and Order:
    The body of a 26-year-old woman reported missing from Te Atatu Peninsula has been found 18:07

    Rugby League:
    The Edmonton Oilers have emphatically forced a game-five in ice hockey's Stanley Cup title series with an 8-1 game four win on home ice against the Florida Panthers 17:27

    Environment:
    A bout of rough weather is bound for the South Island's West Coast 16:57

    Rugby:
    All Blacks playmaker Beauden Barrett has made his return to rugby on New Zealand shores, suiting up for Coastal in the Taranaki Premier club rugby competition yesterday 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2024 New Zealand City Ltd