News | International
26 Jun 2024 6:25
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Hopes fade of finding survivors in Papua New Guinea landslide as UN calls emergency meeting

    The United Nations will hold an emergency meeting to further coordinate the response to the disaster, which has been hampered by the weather and tribal violence in the remote region.


    Locals in Papua New Guinea's remote highlands are grieving as their loved ones remain trapped under a massive landslide, with treacherous terrain impeding the arrival of aid as hopes of finding people alive dwindle.

    The challenges of coordinating an emergency response have prompted the United Nations to call a virtual meeting of international governments on Tuesday to organise the relief effort.

    Meanwhile, locals on the ground are continuing to try and find their loved ones days after the disaster struck.

    "I have 18 of my family members being buried under the debris and soil that I am standing on, and a lot more family members in the village I cannot count," resident Evit Kambu told Reuters.

    "But I cannot retrieve the bodies so I am standing here helplessly."

    PNG's disaster agency estimates that "more than 2,000 people" could be buried under meters of earth. 

    The National Disaster Centre gave the new number in a letter to the United Nations, which had put possible deaths at more than 670.

    The variance reflects the remote site and the difficulty in getting an accurate population estimate. 

    Many people are still unsure whether loved ones have been caught up in the disaster as villagers often move between homes of friends and relatives, according to Matthew Hewitt Tapus, a pastor in the PNG capital Port Moresby whose home village is close to the disaster.

    "It's not like everyone is in the same house at the same time, so you have fathers who don't know where their children are, mothers who don't know where husbands are, it's chaotic," he told Reuters by phone.

    Pastor Joseph said the defence operations chief was sent to the disaster scene within 24 hours with assistance from the Australian Defence Force, and a PNG defence engineering team was on site, as well as a military helicopter for evacuations.

    The Pacific Island nation's last credible census was in 2000 and many people live in isolated mountain villages.

    Defence Minister Billy Joseph said 4,000 people had been living in the six remote villages in the Maip Mulitaka area in Enga province, where the landslide occurred in the early hours of Friday while most were asleep.

    More than 150 houses were buried beneath debris almost two storeys high. Rescuers heard screams from beneath the earth.

    [PNG datawrapper]

    More than 72 hours after the landslide, residents were still using spades, sticks and bare hands to try and shift debris.

    Only five bodies had been found, according to the provincial authority.

    Mourners gather for first funeral

    Villagers held one funeral on Monday: mourners walked behind the coffin weeping, according to video from a UN official.

    Heavy equipment and assistance have been slow to arrive due to the remote location.

    The UN is scheduled to hold an online emergency meeting with foreign governments early on Tuesday to try and coordinate the relief effort.

    Tribal warfare nearby has forced aid workers to travel in convoys escorted by soldiers and return to the provincial capital, 60 kilometres away, at night.

    Eight people were killed and 30 houses burnt down on Saturday in the violence, a UN agency official said.

    Aid convoys on Monday passed the still smoking remains of houses.

    The PNG government said it would rebuild the villages and reopen the main highway to the town and gold mine at Porgera which had been cut off by the landslide.

    The operator of the mine said it was operating without restriction despite the mountainside collapse and had enough fuel on-site for 40 days.

    The PNG government has also requested a New Zealand Defence Force geotechnical team to assess possibly unstable land nearby which would make heavy earth-moving equipment dangerous.

    Australia announced an initial $2.5 million aid package late on Monday and said it would send technical experts to help with rescue and recovery.

    On Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles said Australia had been working with authorities in PNG since the news of the diaster broke.

    He said the first representatives of PNG's national disaster committee were flown to the site on a RAAF Spartan plane and a helicopter.

    He said a Hercules had since joined the Australian aircraft in PNG.

    "We have a C-17 which is now ferrying supplies between Australia and PNG," he said.

    "In addition to the disaster response experts who are on their way to PNG now, the emphasis is on helping those who are displaced, and we are working on transporting 750 family-sized shelters to the site."

    China, which has been wooing Pacific Island nations, also said it would also assist.

    Rain, unstable ground and flowing water were making it extremely dangerous for residents and rescue teams to clear debris.

    Chief of the UN migration agency's mission in PNG, Serhan Aktoprak, said more than 250 homes have been evacuated, with more than 1,250 people displaced.

    Some residents do not want heavy machinery interrupting mourning, he added.

    "At this point, people I think are realising that the chances are very slim that anyone can basically be taken out alive," Mr Aktoprak said.

    King Charles III and Queen Camilla expressed their "most heartfelt condolences" to the communities suffering as a result of the traumatic event.

    "My wife and I were deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the devastating landslide in Enga, and the tragic loss of so many lives, homes and food gardens," the king said in a statement.

    He first visited PNG as a teenager on a trip from Geelong, Victoria, in 1966 when he attended the Timbertop boarding school. 

    "I have witnessed at first-hand and have great admiration for, the extraordinary resilience of the peoples of Papua New Guinea and the Highlands.

    "I have faith that your communities will come together to support the survivors and the recovery in these heartbreaking circumstances.

    "Papua New Guinea is very much in our special thoughts and prayers."

    ABC with wires

    © 2024 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     25 Jun: California hiker found after 10 days survived by collecting water in his shoe
     25 Jun: What to expect before undergoing a laparoscopy for endometriosis
     25 Jun: Gay conservatives helped to shape the Republican party. Now, Trump is vowing to roll back LGBTQ rights
     25 Jun: Fire breaks out at South Korean battery plant, at least 22 people dead
     25 Jun: Security guard 'obsessed' with British TV presenter Holly Willoughby planned to 'rape and murder her', court hears
     25 Jun: Russian offensive stalls in the unbreakable city of Kharkiv as Ukraine pushes back
     24 Jun: Volkswagen Beetle: How Mexico is keeping alive the legacy of one of the world's most beloved cars
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    NZ Rugby CEO says further work needed to achieve sustainable model following $8.9m loss More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A Christchurch businessman is being accused of running a major black-market cigarette factory More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Matthew Lewis "wouldn't turn his nose up" at appearing in the 'Harry Potter' TV series 6:00

    Law and Order:
    Several teens have been arrested in connection with a violent aggravated robbery from a Papatoetoe jewellery store in the weekend 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Sean Penn has recalled a SWAT team forcing their way into his house during his marriage to Madonna 21:30

    Hamilton:
    A person on a mobility scooter has died after being hit by a vehicle in Hamilton 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Shania Twain isn't bitter about the misfortunes that have occurred in her life as she believes everything happens for a reason 21:00

    Entertainment:
    Elon Musk has become a father for the 12th time 20:30

    Entertainment:
    Tom Cruise, Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis were among the stars who turned out to watch Taylor Swift perform at London's Wembley Stadium on Saturday (22.06.24) night 20:00

    Entertainment:
    Paloma Faith admits it's "confusing" still getting on well with her ex Leyman Lahcine 19:30

    Entertainment:
    Ronan Keating is loving being a grandfather and has hailed his son Jack a "great" dad 19:00

    Law and Order:
    Police have made an arrest over a kidnapping incident that happened in Auckland's Te Atatu Peninsula yesterday afternoon 18:58


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2024 New Zealand City Ltd