News | International
18 Feb 2026 12:48
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US military says 11 men killed in strikes on alleged drug smuggling boats

    The strikes are the latest in a string of US strikes on boats in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea targeting what Donald Trump alleges are drug trafficking operations.


    The US military says 11 people are dead after it carried out strikes on three vessels in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.

    In a post on X, the US Southern Command said the three vessels struck "were transiting along known narco-trafficking routes and were engaged in narco-trafficking operations".

    "Eleven male narco-terrorists were killed during these actions, 4 on the first vessel in the Eastern Pacific, 4 on the second vessel in the Eastern Pacific, and 3 on the third vessel in the Caribbean,' it said, adding that no US forces were harmed.

    [EL TWEET: Southern command]

    The strikes took place late Monday, local time, and vision published on X by the Southern Command shows missiles striking various vessels. 

    The boats are then shown on fire in the water.

    The US military did not provide evidence of the alleged drug trafficking.

    The attacks are the latest in a string of operations carried out in the waters of the eastern Pacific and Caribbean in what the US government says are attempts to prevent drug smugglers from reaching the United States.

    US President Donald Trump has previously justified the attacks as a necessary step to clamp down on the drug trafficking trade.

    But the military operations have attracted scrutiny from members of the US Congress, with concerns some of the strikes may constitute war crimes.

    Since taking office for the second time in January last year, Mr Trump has dramatically increased US interventions in Central and South America.

    In early January, US forces seized Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro and flew him to New York, where he was charged with a number of offences, including nacro-terrorism conspiracy.


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     18 Feb: Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission
     18 Feb: Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11
     18 Feb: Aerials delay is not unusual, as snow causes chaos at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics
     18 Feb: The Missing number in the hundreds of thousands in Syria, where mass graves of torture victims are found weekly
     17 Feb: Marquee Canterbury recruit Leo Thompson to miss 10 weeks following calf injury
     17 Feb: Louvre tour guides accused of orchestrating $16m ticket fraud ring over a decade
     17 Feb: Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Don't expect an All Blacks coaching announcement imminently More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    An improving financial situation for one of our largest companies, Fletcher Building More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 12:47

    Rugby:
    Don't expect an All Blacks coaching announcement imminently 12:37

    Entertainment:
    Ed Sheeran has revealed the reason he ditched his mobile phone - and how the experience inspired his song 12:27

    Business:
    An improving financial situation for one of our largest companies, Fletcher Building 12:27

    Entertainment:
    Meghan, Duchess of Sussex amped up the Valentine's Day magic by sharing an adorable snap of Prince Harry scooping up their daughter, Princess Lilibet, as he clutched a bunch of balloons 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Hilary Duff helped two fans pull off the ultimate engagement moment during her Las Vegas show on Friday night (13.02.26) 11:27

    National:
    Make Japan strong again: Sanae Takaichi’s plan to transform her country’s military 11:17

    Hockey:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11 11:17

    Soccer:
    Second half drama in the Champions League football clash between Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon 11:07

    Entertainment:
    Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler 10:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd