News | International
6 Apr 2025 7:55
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

    British police charge actor and comedian Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    5 April 2025

    British police have charged Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    In a statement released Friday, local time, London's Metropolitan Police listed five charges, dating from 1999 to 2005, related to four women.

    It said Mr Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

    "The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," the statement said.

    The comedian denied charges of rape and indecent assault, saying he had been an addict in the past "but what I never was was a rapist".

    In a video posted on X, Brand said: "I was a fool … I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."

    In 2023, the Sunday Times newspaper and UK network Channel 4's documentary show "Dispatches" reported that four women had accused Brand of sexual assaults, including a rape, between 2006 and 2013.

    After the allegations were published, police opened an investigation.

    According to the Met's statement on Friday, it's alleged Mr Brand:

    • Raped a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999
    • Indecently assaulted a woman in London in 2001
    • Orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in London in 2004
    • Sexually assaulted a woman in London between 2004 and 2005

    Mr Brand, 50, is the former husband of US pop star Katy Perry and was one of Britain's most high-profile comedians and broadcasters.

    The Get Him To The Greek actor has previously denied the allegations, saying his relationships were "always consensual".

    In the 2000s, he was a regular on global screens, known for his flamboyant style and appearance.

    By the early 2020s he had faded from mainstream culture, appearing primarily on his internet channel where he airs his views on US politics, free speech and promotes conspiracy theories.

    Last year, he was also spotted at the Republican National Convention in the United States, and posed in snaps with some of the party's prominent figures.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said the women who made reports against Mr Brand continued to receive support. 

    "[We] ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," he said.

    Mr Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on May 2.

    Reuters/AFP


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC, NZCity


     Other International News
     06 Apr: Olympics boss promises affordable tickets for Brisbane 2032
     05 Apr: Australian space tourist returns to Earth after private flight over the poles
     05 Apr: How to get the most from potted citrus and when they'll fruit
     05 Apr: 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea coast, tsunami warning cancelled
     05 Apr: US judge orders Trump administration to retrieve father deported to El Salvador prison 'in error'
     05 Apr: For America's small businesses, Trump's tariffs are delivering some unwelcome surprises
     05 Apr: Man rescued from burning Connecticut home tells police he started blaze to escape 20 years of captivity
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A new law modernising the rules in our skies, comes into force today More...



     Today's News

    Motorsports:
    Liam Lawson has out-qualified stablemate Yuki Tsunoda , to start 13th and 14th respectively in tonight's Formula One Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka  7:47

    Soccer:
    Nottingham Forest - without the injured Chris Wood - have lost 2-1 at Aston Villa, but still remain 3rd on the Premier League table 7:37

    General:
    Olympics boss promises affordable tickets for Brisbane 2032 7:27

    Politics:
    A Maori health organisation believes online casinos are targeting Maori communities 7:27

    Cricket:
    No joy for Kiwis in Indian Premier League cricket action overnight 7:17

    Health & Safety:
    New Zealanders are being urged to keep on top of their sleep as the clocks turn back 7:07

    Rugby League:
    The Paramatta Eels and Dolphins have both claimed their first wins of the NRL season 6:27

    Living & Travel:
    There's one new Mangawhai millionaire tonight, with a resident winning Lotto Strike Four 21:56

    Law and Order:
    Police staff and patrol cars are intentionally being rammed every second day across the country 21:16

    Rugby:
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth 18:56


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd