News | Law and Order
6 Apr 2025 23:01
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Law and Order

    Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

    British police charge actor and comedian Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    5 April 2025

    British police have charged Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    In a statement released Friday, local time, London's Metropolitan Police listed five charges, dating from 1999 to 2005, related to four women.

    It said Mr Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

    "The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," the statement said.

    The comedian denied charges of rape and indecent assault, saying he had been an addict in the past "but what I never was was a rapist".

    In a video posted on X, Brand said: "I was a fool … I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."

    In 2023, the Sunday Times newspaper and UK network Channel 4's documentary show "Dispatches" reported that four women had accused Brand of sexual assaults, including a rape, between 2006 and 2013.

    After the allegations were published, police opened an investigation.

    According to the Met's statement on Friday, it's alleged Mr Brand:

    • Raped a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999
    • Indecently assaulted a woman in London in 2001
    • Orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in London in 2004
    • Sexually assaulted a woman in London between 2004 and 2005

    Mr Brand, 50, is the former husband of US pop star Katy Perry and was one of Britain's most high-profile comedians and broadcasters.

    The Get Him To The Greek actor has previously denied the allegations, saying his relationships were "always consensual".

    In the 2000s, he was a regular on global screens, known for his flamboyant style and appearance.

    By the early 2020s he had faded from mainstream culture, appearing primarily on his internet channel where he airs his views on US politics, free speech and promotes conspiracy theories.

    Last year, he was also spotted at the Republican National Convention in the United States, and posed in snaps with some of the party's prominent figures.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said the women who made reports against Mr Brand continued to receive support. 

    "[We] ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," he said.

    Mr Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on May 2.

    Reuters/AFP


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC, NZCity


     Other Law and Order News
     06 Apr: Police have arrested four people at Port Taranaki, where Greenpeace is protesting the use of palm kernel
     06 Apr: Infringements, checkpoints, and seizures have disrupted antisocial road users in Hutt Valley, north of Wellington
     06 Apr: KILL
     05 Apr: Police staff and patrol cars are intentionally being rammed every second day across the country
     05 Apr: Regulations are needed if Kiwis want better access to publicly prescribed medicinal cannabis
     05 Apr: There's an increased Police presence after a man has died in Auckland's Manurewa overnight
     05 Apr: US judge orders Trump administration to retrieve father deported to El Salvador prison 'in error'
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Former All Blacks Sevens player Moses Leo is making his NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Manly Sea Eagles, just getting underway More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealanders in KiwiSaver are urged to stay calm and stay the course as stock markets tumble More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Power is out to just over 3,000 people in Dunedin 22:27

    Christchurch:
    Two people are seriously injured, following a three-vehicle crash in Lincoln, south west of Christchurch 21:17

    Motoring:
    Max Verstappen wins F1 Japanese Grand Prix, as Oscar Piastri finishes third behind teammate Lando Norris 19:37

    Motorsports:
    To Formula 1's Japanese Grand Prix 18:57

    Motorsports:
    Title favourite Ben Hunt has won the New Zealand Rally Championship's season-opening Rally of Otago 18:37

    Rugby League:
    Former All Blacks Sevens player Moses Leo is making his NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Manly Sea Eagles, just getting underway 18:07

    Living & Travel:
    In the New Zealand Basketball League, The Wellington Saints have edged the Manawatu Jets 93-92 in Palmerston North 17:27

    Rugby League:
    One person was arrested and eight evicted after a tense confrontation between Auckland FC and Western Sydney Wanderers fans yesterday 17:27

    Rugby League:
    Kiwi middleweight Andrei Mikhailovich has suffered a shock split decision loss to Australian Blake Wells in Newcastle 16:57

    Law and Order:
    Police have arrested four people at Port Taranaki, where Greenpeace is protesting the use of palm kernel 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd